Many people considering laser eye surgery have questions about what will happen on the actual day of the surgery. While our staff is happy to speak with you and answer any of your questions in person, there is a general sequence of events that you can expect on the day of your surgery.
- You arrive at LASIK Vision Centers of Cleveland, well rested and dressed in comfortable clothes, for your LASIK surgery. On the morning of your surgery, you should bring any prescription medications you were given prior to your surgery, such as eye drops, as you will need them to apply before and after the surgery.
- A member of our staff will greet you and guide you in completing the necessary forms and paperwork. You will need to review the consent form for the surgery and complete the patient sections.
- When it is time for your surgery, you will be taken into an exam room, where you will be laying in a bed. The room will contain the laser technology that will be used to perform your vision correction.
- While you must remain awake during the surgery, as you need to be able to follow instructions from your surgeon about where to fixate your eyes, you will be offered a sedative, such as Valium, to ease your nerves. The surgery takes approximately ten to fifteen minutes.
- Following the surgery, your eyes will remain numb. As the numbing drops wear off, you may experience some minor soreness or discomfort. It is not unusual for your eyes to burn or itch.
- A friend or family member, who you have asked prior to the date of your surgery, will drive you home. Your eyes may be particularly sensitive to sunlight after the surgery, so wear your sunglasses. Avoid the urge to rub or touch your eyes after the surgery.
- When you get home, take a nap! Sleeping for several hours will help your eyes begin to heal. You will be given a plastic eye mask to shield your eyes while you are resting and sleeping so that you do not accidentally rub your eyes.
Do you have questions or concerns about LASIK eye surgery? Our caring staff will take the time to explain every step of the process. Call today for more information!