If you have ever dreamed about being free of your glasses or contacts, you may be wondering if you would be a candidate for laser vision correction. The first thing you should do is speak to your own eye doctor. He or she should be able to discuss your interest in LASIK surgery and whether or not you are a strong candidate for the surgery. While every patient’s situation will be unique, there are general characteristics that apply to most LASIK candidates:
- Candidates are at least 18 years old. In some cases, you must be older. Waiting until you are at least 18 helps ensure that your corneas are fully developed and will not change significantly following LASIK surgery. The goal is to perform the surgery correctly the first time so you will not need any LASIK correction or revision in the future.
- Candidates are in general good health, including eye health. Specifically, you must be free of any eye infections or injuries. An infection or injury can affect the condition of your corneas and the quality of your vision. That, in turn, affects the outcome of your LASIK surgery.
- Candidates do not suffer from dry eye condition. It is generally not recommended that patients who suffer from dry eyes have LASIK surgery.
- Candidates have a moderate degree of one of the following:
- Nearsightedness: You can see nearby objects clearly, but distant objects appear blurry.
- Farsightedness: You can see distant objects clearly, but nearby or up-close objects appear blurry.
- Astigmatism: Both nearby and distant objects appear blurry.
- Your vision has been stable for at least one year. That means that, in the last 12 months, your vision has not changed or worsened, requiring a change in your glasses or contact lenses prescription. Again, the goal is to avoid having to revise your LASIK surgery later on because of a change in your vision.
- You are interested in the surgery to make a lifestyle change, rather than simply for cosmetic reasons. The ideal candidates for LASIK are those individuals who would like to enjoy an active lifestyle while avoiding the discomfort and difficulties associated with being dependent on contact lenses and glasses.
Wondering if you are a good candidate for LASIK surgery? Speak to your eye doctor, then schedule your consultation with LASIK Vision Centers of Cleveland.