Limitations to Expect After LASIK Surgery
Tips for an Optimal Recovery
During your LASIK surgery procedure, it is the job of your surgeon and the surgical team to provide the highest quality of care and treatment. Following your surgery, we will ask you to adhere to several limitations for a short period of time designed to give your eyes time to heal and to ensure you have the best possible post-surgery results.
What can’t you do after LASIK surgery? These are the most common recommendations:
- No rubbing or itching your eyes. Some patients experience mild discomfort or itching for a day or so following their surgery. No matter what, do not rub or itch your eyes. This will only make the irritation worse and could interfere with your eyes’ healing process.
- Limit screen time for several days. We know that this is a difficult request, but while you are healing from LASIK, you should minimize exposure to computers, devices, and television screens and just let your eyes rest.
- Wear sunglasses outside. We recommend sunglasses to shield your eyes from the sun at all times but especially after surgery. Have your favorite pair ready to go!
- No swimming in a pool, hot tub, ocean, lake, or any body of water for approximately 2 weeks. Following this period, we encourage wearing goggles or keeping your eyes closed when going underwater as much as possible. This recommendation is important to keep in mind when scheduling a date for your surgery, especially if you have a vacation planned. Give yourself enough recovery time, so you can fully enjoy your upcoming trip!
- No soap or water around your eyes in the first week. When you are in the shower, take care not to let any shampoo, soap, or water get in your eyes. This may cause irritation to your eyes during the healing process.
- Refrain from contact sports for about a month. While your eyes are healing, we recommend limiting contact sports or strenuous activity. Consider wearing protective eyewear if you do choose to engage in contact sports. Strenuous activity can also increase sweating, which can irritate your eyes.
- No eye makeup for a week. Mascara and other eye makeup, especially older products, can contain bacteria. While your eyes are more sensitive post LASIK, it is a good idea to limit any potential risk of infection.
Our team is always happy to answer any questions you may have about what to expect after surgery. We hope you will consider LASIK surgery at LVC—schedule your free consultation today!